Teacher accreditation course: Cycling
A key part of developing a strong platform for school development begins with the teachers. WestCycle have developed the Teacher Accreditation Course: Cycling (Code:TAC101) that provides teachers with the knowledge and skills to be deemed compliant when conducting bike riding activities, both on and off school grounds, across the disciplines of road cycling and mountain biking in low to moderate competency environments.
The course covers important aspects of session delivery and planning including risk management, student capabilities, skills and lesson planning.
The Teacher Accreditation Course: Cycling has been approved by the Western Australian Department of Education and is listed as an approved compliance course within the Recreation and Outdoor Education Activities for Public School Procedures document.
The Teacher Accreditation Course: Cycling structure is as follows:
Module 1 - theory
3 hours comprising:
- Introduction & Course Overview
- Duty of Care
- Understanding Bikes
- Planning & Compliance
- Risk Management
- Planning for Skill Development
- Information for Practical Session
Module 2 - practical
4 hours comprising:
- Practical Risk Management and Strategies
- Skill Assessment
- On-Road Skills
- Off-Road Skills
- Teacher-Led Sessions
The course has been developed using an easy to use, modern Learning Management System, which is accessible via any web browser. The online component can be worked through at the learners pace, and includes downloadable resources that can be utilised in lesson planning and delivery.
Course Cost: $295 inc GST.
– Current Working with Children Check,
– Current Provide First Aid qualification (HLTAID011) or higher. Proof of these need to be shown at the practical session.
Expiry: The accreditation is valid for 3 years from completion date.
Practical session requirements:
– Bring your own bike which is suitable for both on and off road riding
– An Australian Standards approved helmet and appropriate bike riding clothing
– You will need to have completed the online module before practical session commencement
– Advertised courses will initially be offered in the Perth Metro area.
– Courses can be delivered in regional areas subject to minimum enrolment numbers – please contact us.
– Courses can be delivered at your school subject to minimum enrolment numbers – please contact us.
Cancellations and Refunds
– Refunds will be considered where we cannot deliver the program as described in a timely manner, or when a cancellation has occurred with a sufficient notice period (72 hours+). We reserve the right to exclude transaction fees from any refund issued.
– Cancellations with less than 72 hours notice may, at our discretion, be accepted with an offer to re-book at an alternative session.
Once you have booked and paid for your course using the link below, you will be emailed a link to the online module within 2 business days. After completing your online module, attend the designated practical session, complete the session, and your accreditation will be sent to you within 14 working days, pending completion of all course components, and provision of requested documents and qualifications.
Questions and Support
If you have any support questions about this course, please email [email protected].
WestCycle’s Schools program is more than just teacher accreditation. To discuss WestCycle’s offerings to schools such as curriculum resources, bike activities, incursions, excursions, fundraisers etc. please call Josh Curulli on 0425 414 989 or email [email protected]
1. What type of bike should I bring?
A bike that can handle both on and off-road will be necessary. This could be a gravel, mountain or hybrid bike with bigger tyres.
2. Should I bring anything else?
Bring your completed workbook along with you to aid when it comes time for you to deliver your skills session. A helmet, sunscreen, water and appropriate clothing are also required.
3. Does this course make me compliant to deliver bike riding activities at my school?
Once completed and deemed competent, this course allows you to deliver on and off-road bike riding activities both on and off school site in low to moderate competency level environments.
This qualification course is compliant with the requirements of the Department of Education WA and CEWA policies and procedures.
4. Do you have sessions close to me?
Yes. We offer both North and South options to cater for everyone.
5. Is this course available for remote learners?
WestCycle is currently developing a remote learning option that will be available for completion soon. Please contact us if you are interested in this option.
To view course availability and to book your course go to our TryBooking page below:
Perth Metropolitan Area:
More sessions coming soon