Swan River Retaining Wall at Kwinana Freeway Repairs and Maintenance
Project update March 2023
WestCycle has been contacted by Main Roads with the following update regarding the continued closure of the PSP between Cale and Thelma Streets in Como alongside the Kwinana Freeway.
- The Swan River Retaining Wall Repairs and Maintenance Project has had to be extended through until the end of March.
- The project needs to access the river wall from the river bed with machinery and is reliant on low tides for their work window.
- Tides during January and February have been higher than forecast due to adverse atmospheric weather conditions affecting tides.
- The project has seen the PSP alongside the Kwinana Freeway between Cale Street and Thelma Street closed from December 2022.
- Detours are in place for path users across the Cale and Thelma Street Pedestrian Bridges.
- Advice from the project to cyclists and e-Riders is to dismount and walk across the bridges – the bridges have a safety guard rail at 1100 mm, mounted cyclists require 1400 mm.
- As a consequence of the extension of the closure, Main Roads is trialling a “contra-flow” system on the detours across the two bridges.
- This will see cyclists be able to cycle across the bridges without the risk of other cyclist or pedestrians coming in the opposite direction.
- This contra-flow trial will be in action during work week peak periods – 6:00 to 9:00 am and 3:30 to 5:30 pm until the project is able to reopen the PSP.
- At all other times, cyclists and e-Riders are advised to dismount and walk across the bridge.
See below map of the PSP Detour:
Please contact Richard Taylor at email@example.com or by telephone on 138 138 for further information.