Updated 17 February 2020
Kwinana Freeway Principal Shared Path Diversion (Canning Highway, Como and the Narrows Bridge, South Perth)
18 February 2019 to mid-February 2020
- The PSP was reopened on 17 February 2020 during the hours of 5am and 8pm
- While a PSP upgrade was not in the scope of this project, large sections of the PSP have been resurfaced.
- Some finishing works are still required. Nighttime closures of the PSP between 8pm to 5am are required to complete these finishing works.
Detours of the Kwinana Freeway Principal Shared Path between Canning Highway, Como and the Narrows Bridge, South Perth will commence 18 February 2019 to allow the construction of the Smart Freeways Project. Phase 2 of the detour is planned to commence on 2 September 2019.
Two detour phases have been planned to minimise disruption and allow time for works on and around the shared path to allow the construction of the Smart Freeways Project. This includes lowering existing manhole covers to pavement level, resulting in a safer and smoother journey. Some minor realignment of the shared path is also required in several locations, to facilitate the installation of freeway gantries and the installation of drainage and other works.
To facilitate the next stage of construction activity, the following sections of shared path along Kwinana Freeway will be temporarily closed: (dates are subject to change)
- Between Cale Street Footbridge and Hardy Street Footbridge from 18 February 2019 with detours in place via Melville Parade.
- The closure will extend north to the Narrows Bridge on 2 September 2019 with detours in place via Melville Parade and Mill Point Road.
From late August 2019 there will also be a minor realignment of the PSP to the south of Cale Street, in the vicinity of the Scout Water Activity Centre in Como, for piling and retaining wall works. PSP users will be diverted onto the freeway’s former emergency lane, behind safety barriers, while this 250m realignment is in place
Principal Shared Path (PSP) re-opening dates
As a result of the constrained project site and additional construction activities, the re-opening of the PSP between Cale Street and the Narrows Bridge has had to be delayed.
The first section to re-open will be between Hardy Street footbridge and the Narrows Bridge on 18 January 2020.
The remaining sections of the PSP will reopen in mid-February 2020.
For more information:
Phone: 138 138
Disclaimer – Please use this information as a guide and check the project website for up-to-date information